Letter Nr. Na/ PaKaBa – 50 / 2012
Date: 27/ 09/ 2012
His Excellency President U Thein Sein
Government of the Union of Burma (Myanmar)
Union of Burma
Subject: Request for Negotiation to Resolve Political Problems
Excellency Mr. President,
Our United Nationalities Federal Council (UNFC) has been studying critically your work programs and reforms for the emergence of peace, stability, progress and the democratic system in the country. We presume that you are undertaking reforms with noble intentions for the country and the people.
Though we do not have any criticism against the democratic changes made in the political reform process carried by the government under your leadership, we find that there are programs, without fairness and equality, in the procedure for establishment of understanding and unity with the armed ethnic resistance organizations. For the rectification of those programs in time and with a view to the interest of the country and the people, we would like to submit work programs for peace, which bear equality and justice, and which are acceptable to us.
Though it is possible to negotiate for resolution of the points from (1) to (4), contained in the peace negotiation program at the Union level, issued by the government under your leadership – our view is that Point (5) Setting up a political party; Point (6) To accept the 2008 Constitution and to carry out amendment in the parliament according to the approval of the majority; Point (7) For eternal peace, the armed organizations are to enter the legal fold, enjoy equality, live and earn a living in accordance with the Constitution; and Point (8) Negotiation for transformation of armed organizations into one and only one armed organization, in accordance with the Constitution – are measures to control our armed ethnic resistance organizations and mould them into an entity as desired by the government, before any political settlement is achieved. As these deny equality, freedom and justice, it is not possible for us to accept them. Accordingly, we would like to urge you to review and modify them so as to prevent the internal peace building process from stalling and breaking up.
At the Ethnic Nationality Conference held from September 14 to 16, and which was participated by representatives of the armed ethnic resistance organizations, political organizations, youths and women organizations and civil society organizations, a 6-point political process of the ethnic nationalities for peace was adopted. We the ethnic nationalities believe that the 6 points prevents the taking of more advantage by one side or the other, and it is a political process for equal and fair negotiation. For that reason, on behalf of all the ethnic nationality forces, we the UNFC, propose for building national unity and internal peace in accordance with this process.
The 6 points of peace process of the ethnic nationalities are:
- The armed ethnic nationality organizations, political parties, women and youths organizations and civil society organizations are to hold meetings and lay down points to be included in the Framework for Political Dialogue;
- Representatives of the Union government and the unified representatives of the armed ethnic organizations are to hold meetings and establish the Framework for Political Dialogue –
- Holding meetings in a place acceptable to both sides;
- Proceedings of the meetings are to be conducted in the presence of neutral international observers and the points agreed upon are to be promulgated jointly for public knowledge.
- After establishing the Framework for Political Dialogue by representatives of the government and the armed ethnic resistance organizations, conferences of the ethnic peoples are to be held in the states or in divisions, as necessary, for clarification and approval;
- To hold a national conference of the various nationalities participated by representatives of the ethnic armed organizations, political parties, women and youths organizations and civil society organizations;
- A Union conference, participated by an equal number of representatives from the ethnic forces, the democratic forces and the government is to be held in the form, acceptable to the three forces, and based on Panlong Spirit; the agreements adopted by the conference are to be regarded as the “Union Accord” and
- The Union Accord is to be implemented in accordance with a time frame, precisely.
With cordial regards,
Lt. General N-Ban La
United Nationalities Federal Council (UNFC)