Press Release 1. The 2 June 2014 issue of the Weekly Eleven News Journal carried a news story questioned whether the Public Service Media Law favours the State-owned media with the misuse of public revenues” in its cover. The news story criticized the Ministry of Information over suspicious prices of tenders for presses, complaining that the highest bid for a press was over US$ 1 million, although its actual value stood at around US$ 800,000. “For example, the prices of a press stood at around US$ 800,000 only but the ministry purchased it for over US$ 1 million. The actual prices of a particular press range between US$ 400,000 and US$ 500,000. But it cost over US$ 1 million. How corruption was rampant in the ministry”, alleged by Nay Tun Naing, an executive editor of the Daily Eleven. 2. Since the above-mentioned news story of the Weekly Eleven News Journal could tarnish the image of the News and Periodicals Enterprise (NPE) under the Ministry of Information and beget misunderstanding among the people, those in political and social fields and the Public Service Media Law being forwarded to the Hluttaw, a press conference on the allegation was held on 6-6-2014 and an official clarified that the statement of the journal was untrue and the tender process of the News and Periodicals Enterprise (NPE) was carried out transparently under the rules and regulations set by the government with firm evidence. However, the 7-6-2014 issue of the Daily Eleven stated the wrong facts and figures again with the intention of triggering a widespread misunderstanding. Although the News and Periodicals Enterprise (NPE) negotiated two times for correction of the false statement through the Myanmar Press Council (Temporary), the Eleven Media Group replied that it will by no means correct its news story and there is no reason to negotiate with the Myanmar Press Council (Temporary), adding not to send for it and write to it again as regards the statement it had mentioned. The reply of the Eleven Media Group was sent to the ministry by the Myanmar Press Council (Temporary). 3. The Eleven Media Group did not accept a better solution sought through the Myanmar Press Council (Temporary) and accused the News and Periodicals Enterprise (NPE) of committing the corruption time and again. As the statement of the Eleven Media Group has tarnished the image of civil services under the ministry as well as officials from the Procurement Committee of the Ministry of Information, the News and Periodicals Enterprise (NPE) has to take legal action against the media group unavoidably in order to seek justice in the judicial pillar. In that regard, the News and Periodicals Enterprise (NPE) has no intention of harming the freedom of press. Procurement Committee Ministry of Information #######
3.june 2014 engl. eleven media Journalists pointed that the Public Service Media (PSM) should benefit for all citizens and it should not let the state-owned media abusing the state’s budget indirectly.
Lower House Bill Committee, Information Ministry and journalists discussed about the PSM on May 31 in Naypyitaw at the meeting hall of the Lower House.
During the meeting, the Minister of the Information Ministry Aung Kyi explained the tactics done by the government to fulfill the mission of the media role, information access of the country, basic principles to instigate the PSM, reasons why the PSM needs to be transformed and its benefits.
According to Aung Kyi, the government wants to apply the media pluralism instead of running the state-owned media. That is why the PSM needs to be practiced.
Technically, in order to transform the state-owned media into PSM, 70% of the its capital will be come from the public budget with the approval of the parliament. The rest 30% will be generated from advertisements, international supports and earn from selling newspapers. Continue reading “!!!! #Myanmar #Burma #press #release #moi #pressure #sue #weekly #eleven”