Republic of the Union of Myanmar President Office Statement No.(1/2012)
Nay Pyi Taw, 25 Oct
The President Office of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar issued a statement (1/2012) dated 25-10-2012. The translation of the statement is as follows:
Republic of the Union of Myanmar
25 October, 2012
10th Waxing of Thadingyut 1374 ME
Statement with regard to conflict in
1. In consequences of crimes in May and June, 2012, there occurred riots and arsons between groups of raging peoples, killing 50, wounding 54 and burning down 2230 houses and 14 religious buildings till 14 June. The incident also left 61,462 people homeless forcing victims to take shelter at relief camps.
2. To bring an quick end to those riots, Rakhine State government issued Article 144 of the Criminal Code of Law in some townships in Rakhine State, the President declared state of emergency by issuing ordinance in conformity
with the constitution and the government in cooperation with local people as well as Myanmar Police Force and Tatmadaw took measures to restore the rule of law and community peace and tranquility and as a result, stability could be restored in short period. The state of emergency was declared under the law with the approval of Pyidaungsu Hluttaw.
3. Some international organizations made criticism of the case, describing it as the abuse of human rights and even presented to the United Nations, making the Myanmar government to defend against those criticisms through every possible mean. At the same time, the government had to make efforts to acquire humanitarian aids for temporarily sheltering, provision of food and health care and rehabilitation of victims.
4. Again, riots erupted in Kyaukpyu, Minbya, Myebon and MraukU townships unexpectedly in Rakhine State, leaving 12 dead, 50 wounded, 1948 houses and eight religious buildings in ashes with substantial numbers of homeless people till 24 October, 2012.
5. Now is the time when Myanmar has achieved the support and international recognition of its drive for smooth transition in democratization process within the short period of time and when international community is watching ongoing progress in Myanmar with interest.
6. As rio ts and violence occurred again have a great impact on the national integrity and interest, effective measures will be taken for rule of law and community peace and tranquility with the collaborative efforts of Myanmar Police Force, Tatmadaw and local people. As it is learnt that there are persons and organizations who are conducting manipulation in the incidents in Rakhine State behind the scene, it is announced that they will be exposed and legal actions will be taken against them.