WAR: Bumese soldiers of 437th LIR, who are responsible for security of Taping hydropower plant, crossed over to KIA’s 15th Battalion Territory

– On June 8, Bumese soldiers of 437th LIR, who are responsible for security of Taping hydropower plant, crossed over to KIA’s 15th Battalion under 3rd Brigade’s territory. Captain Myat Ko Ko and Lt. Ko Ko Win and policeman Ye Naing were stopped and detained by KIA troops as they walked past the last gate in KIA’s 15th Battalion areas.

– At about 9 pm, Burmese army’s northern command called KIO’s liason office in Myitkyina to release those being detained by KIA. KIO in turn asked for release of KIO members in prisons being held during ceasefire era, in exchange for two Burmese army’s officers and a policeman.

– While a negotiation was going on between KIO and Northern command, Burmese army prepared to attack KIA’s 15th Battalion. At around midnight on June 8, Burmese army columns began marching from Momauk to Sanggang. Burmese army’s 437th LIR and 348th LIR arrived at Sanggang on June 9, 2011 at 3:30am. Burmese army surrounded KIO’s liason office in Sanggang and arrested KIA’s lance corporal Gawmo Chang Ying on June 9 at 5 am.

– Burmese army started firing at KIA soldiers stationed at nearby Bumsen post at 7 am on June 9. At that moment, KIA began a defensive war that would continue to this day. The first battle that began after 17 years of ceasefire lasted for about 4 hours.

– KIA intelligence unit intercepted a message from Burmese army’s northern command ordering to shoot with 5 bazookas and use 60 mm mortar shells to attack KIA’s reinforcement to Bumsen post.

– At about 8 am, Burmese army’s northern command asked for exchange of prisoners and offered the release of KIA soldiers being arrested in the past. KIO requested a proof letter for the offer but Burmese army refused to issue any letter. At 9:30am, Burmese army warned KIO not to harm those Burmese soldiers being detained by KIA.

– At 11:45 am on June 9, Burmese army’s northern command again asked for exchange of prisoners. Burmese army also promised to release KIO members and to withdraw Light Infantry Regiments being deployed in front lines.

– KIA troops stop military activities at 11:45 am and Burmese army’s camp stop firing at 12:30 pm on June 9. Burmese army’s northern command informed KIO at 2 pm that KIA’s lance corporal Gawmo Chang Ying has died from a bullet wound in the battle. But local residents reported that Chang Ying was tied and severly beaten by Burmese soldiers.

– There were no battles going on when Chang Ying was arrested from KIO’s liason office. No battles have taken place in Sanggang. Burmese army’s reply that Chang Ying’s death was caused by a bullet during the battle was unreasonable. Burmese army returned Chang Ying’s gun at 5:30pm on June 9. KIA handed over two Burmese army officers and one policeman at 6:34 pm on June 9.

– After prisoners exchange, Burmese army requested to allow Colonel Aung Toe and about 30 soldiers to pass KIO’s territory to visit Taping hydropower plant on the evening of June 9 and return on June 10. KIA troops waited for Burmese troops to return from hydropower plant as they needed to bring Chang Ying’s body.  But Burmese army did not return on June 10 and remained in hydropower plant. Burmese army’s northen command informed KIO, different from what has been agreed, that Colonel Aung Toe and his men will remain in hydropower plant.

– As Burmese troops still occupied the areas, KIO asked local residents to bring Chang Ying’s body but Burmese army reportedly hid the body. KIO central committee asked Burmese army’s northern command to hand over Chang Ying’s body. Burmese army handed over Chang Ying’s body on June 10 at 2:55pm.

– Chang Ying’s body was full of bruises, stab wounds, and bayonette wounds. Chang Ying was shot three times even after his death.


– On June 11 at 8 am, Burmese army’s northern command asked KIA to withdraw its troops stationed at Bumsen by 12 noon. KIA refused to withdraw its troops as they were stationed at Bumsen even before 1994 ceasefire.

– On June 11 at 3:30pm, Burmese army began firing 60mm and 81mm artillery shells. The continuous shelling lasted for 6 hrs in the first day and almost the whole next day.

– Burmese army battalions involved during the first phase of Kachin war on June 11 included 237thLIB, 320th LIR, 348th LIR, 387th LIR, 236th LIB, 74th LIB, 21st LIR, 105th LIR, and 321st LIB.

–   On June 12, Burmese army reinforced with 141st LIR, 142nd LIR, and 37th LIR.

– KIO recalls its personnel and officials from liason offices across Kachin State. Burmese army increased its troops to front lines. Burmese soldiers from across Burma being transported to Myitkyina by train and to Bhamo by river. Burmese army sends 105mm and 120mm howitzer to areas closed to KIO’s administrative capital areas.

– KIO informed Burmese government that unless Burmese army stop sending troops to Kachin frontlines and transporting military hardware, KIO will declare a state-wide defensive war. Burmese army ignored KIO’s ultimatum and began one of the most widespread war in Burma.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s