For the first time during its sixteen year old ceasefire agreement with the Kachin Independence Organization (KIO), the Burmese army said it wants the KIO to disarm. That information came on August 22, after a series of meetings between the two sides, according to sources close to the KIO.
KIO delegates were informed in a letter from Burmese military officials during a Sunday meeting at the Mali Hka Center, inside the junta’s Northern Regional Command at Myitkyina, Kachin State, KIO sources told the Thailand-based Kachin News Group today.
The KIO informed the junta that it will reply to the directive after the upcoming KIO Party Congress in Laiza, located on the China-Burma border, eastern Kachin State, which begins Friday, August 27, according to KIO officials in Laiza.
This is the first congress for the KIO in its 49 year revolutionary history and the congress will made decisions on shifts in the Kachin political situation, including whether it will accept the disarmament plan or resume armed struggle with the junta.
Wawhkyung Sin Wa, Deputy General Secretary of the KIO told the KNG earlier this week the congress will be attended by about 200 KIO delegates from Kachin State and Northeast Shan State and make decisions on its policies for the future.
Sin Wa also added that those decisions will be important for any group or organization related to the KIO and all Kachin people.
The Sunday meeting was joined by five KIO senior officials, including Chairman/president Lanyaw Zawng Hkra, Vice-president No. 1- Lt-Gen Gauri Zau Seng, General Secretary Dr. Lahkyen La Ja, and Vice Chief of Staff Brig-Gen Sumlut Gun Maw, KIO officials said. Continue reading “Junta wants KIO to disarm”
You must be logged in to post a comment.