Fresh DKBA recruits sent to frontline by KIC

REPORT BY SAW HKAR SUNYAR
TUESDAY, 21 JULY 2009 16:11

The Democratic Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA) will despatch its new recruits to the frontline after they conclude their basic military training, said two trainees, who escaped on July 20.

Saw Kyaw Elt (17) and Saw Ye Yaung, (19) escaped, when they were undergoing basic military training in DKBA’s Shwe Kuokko training camp. The duo was forcibly recruited by DKBA. After receiving training for a month, they escaped from the training camp to their relatives who live in Thailand.

“Our trainers were Saw Hsaw Ka El and Saw Kyaw Doe. They said that all of us would be sent to the frontline after concluding the basic military training course. Many young people of our age are being trained. Besides, some people are fathers of two or three children. In the Shwe Kuokko military training camp, about 300 new recruits are undergoing military training,” said Saw Kyaw El.

“Those under 50 and fathers of two or three children can be recruited in keeping with the Strategic Commander Col. Saw Chit Thu’s recruitment order,” said a Captain of a battalion of the DKBA’s Brigade 999. Continue reading “Fresh DKBA recruits sent to frontline by KIC”

Border Situation Update 23 Jul 2009 by Thailand Burma Border Consortium

Border Situation Update
July 23rd 2009
Site Situation
There has been no marked improvement in the security situation around Ler Per Her after
it was overrun by the Democratic Karen Buddhist Association (DKBA) last month. Indeed,
although there have been no further reports of fighting after the withdrawal of Karen Na-
tional Liberation Army (KNLA) troops, there are ongoing reports of forced recruitment,
portering and money/food/livestock extortion by DKBA forces. These abuses continue to
result in more people fleeing their villages and crossing to Thailand. While writing this
update, TBBC has received notification from United Nations High Commissioner for Refu-
gees (UNHCR) and the Karen Refugee Committee (KRC) that another 200 persons have
arrived in Tha Song Yang district during the last 24 hours and are now temporarily shelter-
ing at the Mae U Su site. Continue reading “Border Situation Update 23 Jul 2009 by Thailand Burma Border Consortium”

BREAKING NEWS!!_Diplomats allowed to attend Suu Kyi’s closing arguments

by Mizzima

New Delhi (mizzima)– Burma’s military government on Friday allowed foreign diplomats from Britain, Germany, France and Italy to attend the closing arguments in the trial against opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

The trial against the Burmese pro-democracy leader, at a special court inside Rangoon’s Insein prison, has for the most part been a closed-door affair, with authorities only twice previously allowing selected diplomats and journalists to witness proceedings.

“This time they have not invited or even informed us, but they [the government] have granted permission to diplomats who have sought to attend the final hearing,” a journalist in Rangoon told Mizzima on Friday.

An official from the Embassy of the United States has also so far been permitted to attend proceedings against American John William Yettaw, who is standing trial at the court for secretly swimming across a lake and entering, uninvited, into Aung San Suu Kyi’s home.

A source in Rangoon told Mizzima, “As far as I have confirmed, diplomats from Britain, Germany, France and Italy have been allowed to attend the court session.”

On Friday, the court will hear closing arguments from both prosecution and defense lawyers. The defense team told Mizzima on Thursday that they have prepared a 23-page argument to be submitted to the court.

Observers, however, believe the court will fix yet another date to hand down a verdict.

A journalist in Rangoon said Friday’s court session has attracted the interest of several political observers and scores of supporters and members of Aung San Suu Kyi’s party, who have gathered in front of Insein prison.

Two years ago a court in Burma sentenced five farmers to four years’ jail for allegedly causing a public disturbance; by Awzar Thi

Six men, two years, Hinthada

a sixth man received eight years for two counts of the same offence. Tomorrow, on July 24, the five will have served half of their terms. In all likelihood, they will have to serve the other half before being released.

The six were imprisoned because they had the audacity to talk about human rights and tried to help people where they lived who had problems with the local authorities.

In April 2007, a group of thugs under orders from the village council attacked Ko Myint Naing, the one who was sentenced to eight years. He suffered serious injuries and was hospitalized in Rangoon. He responded by laying charges against the attackers. After that, he and the five farmers – U Win, Ko Kyaw Lwin, U Myint [above left], U Hla Shein [above right] and U Mya Sein – were accused of stirring up trouble and jailed. continue
http://ratchasima.net/2009/07/24/six-men-two-years-hinthada/

On 18 April 2007, four men in Hinthada, a township in the coastal delta region of Burma, were attacked by a government-organised gang. On July 24, one of them and five local farmers were sentenced to four to eight years in jail for “upsetting public tranquillity”. Together they are The HINTHADA 6. To find out more about their story and what it means for human rights in Burma, read more…
http://campaigns.ahrchk.net/hinthada6/